A near-perfect, renewable resource, beeswax is made by the female worker bee for honeycomb, to contain their honey, pollen and the bee larva. To produce 500g of beeswax, the worker bees eat about 2½ kg of honey, fly 200,000 km, and visit 33 million flower blossoms!
Pure beeswax is healthy. Beeswax produces negative ions that actually clean your air of odours, pollens, smoke, dust, dust mites, viruses and other allergens and hazards – the only known fuel to do so. As does a rainstorm, beeswax candles leave your air fresher and cleaner – they are a true air purifier. They are the only candle for anyone with chemical sensitivities or allergies.
Regular candles are made from paraffin wax: a by-product of the petroleum industry. It is bleached and then hardened with the addition of stearic acid (a byproduct of the meat packing industry) and still contains trace amounts of inherent toxic chemicals. Quite often, candles are then scented with oils (both natural and synthetic) and marketed as a way to “freshen” the air. In reality, when you burn a paraffin wax candle, all of those trapped toxins and chemicals are released into the air that you breathe.
Beeswax is very different: all natural, non-toxic, non-polluting, non-allergenic, and with a delicious honey-sweet aroma. It achieves a very efficient and complete burn (mostly to carbon dioxide (CO2) and water vapour) and thus burns brighter, hotter, cleaner, and longer than any other wax. When properly made and burned, beeswax candles are smokeless and dripless. Measured by burn time, beeswax candles are a better value than paraffin – even when they appear to cost more.